Thursday, June 25, 2009

Equity, Equality and Egocentrism..

I was reading a book and something the author said just struck me....Here it goes..

For example :

You are working 7 hours and paid 25 dollars. You have another colleague who is working 10 hours. You feel they should be paid about 30 dollars for the work since they are working 3 more hours....

Now, the situation is reversed. One of your colleagues is working 7 hours and is paid about 25 dollars and you are working 10 hours and you expect to be paid 35.7 dollars............

Quite interesting..isn't it...when it is someone else, its ok to be unfair, but when it is you, you want all the fairness in the world.....

Another example the author gave was:

You are job applicant...You are offered a job by two companies..Company A and Company B.

You come to know that you have been offered 75,000 by company A and another colleague at company A is offered 95,000.

With company B, you have been offered 72,000 and another colleague is also offered 72, 000...

Which job will you take???

I will look forward to your answers on this one..as this will give me an insight on the authors view......

2 comments:

  1. actually speaking I would take the job where I get better experience because its only the matter of 3000$.. but here the ans to your question would be company A.

    quite interesting though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats quite an interesting thought dhvanit........I somehow think I would have taken the company B...but then lot of other circumstances would dictate the situation.........hehehe....

    ReplyDelete